BabyBoardy Blog

You are invited to follow the developing life of Baby Boardy as the BB ventures from life in the amniotic swamp to the bright city lights of Melbourne.

Friday, February 03, 2006

12 months without peak hour traffic

I walked in to work today with the hugest smile on my face. I didn't even mind being stuck in traffic for 45 mins and consequently having to park right up on the 5th floor of the carpark. Why...? Because it was my last day at work!

My manager said I looked far too happy, but she understood completely because she goes on maternity leave in two weeks time. I spent most of the day just tidying up final bits and pieces and we went out for lunch (just a few of the girlies) which was lovely (as was the pumpkin and spinach pizza!). Then there was the requisite afternoon tea (any excuse!) with cake, presents and festivities. Scott, the exec-director of HR gave a lovely little speech and I spent the rest of the afternoon saying goodbye and receiving the most wonderful and encouraging emails.

After work we went to a local pub where I had the best lemon squash on the menu to celebrate not only my last day, but the engagement of two women at work (not to each other).

In hindsight, I probably should have done this last Friday. I didn't sleep well Monday night and so took Tuesday off. My disturbed sleep affected Cory too - and he came home Tuesday afternoon for some much-needed dozing (he had a big day the next day). However, you don't know these things when you have to put your maternity-leave form in months in advance. I'd recommend to take at least four weeks before you're due. You don't know how tired you're going to be and if you're not tired, you can channel the energy into something more enjoyable than work.

I'm now looking forward to at least a couple of weeks of rest, relaxation and plenty of cat-naps. Of course, that'll be the last of that for a LOOOOOOOONG time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home